Fireworks show gets go-ahead

DOWNEY - The City Council on Tuesday gave its blessing to a Fourth of July fireworks show, after receiving assurances that public funds would not be used to produce the event.The city still needs to raise approximately $6,500 to reach its $40,000 fundraising goal, but city officials sounded optimistic that the goal was attainable. Mark Sauter, the city's deputy city manager in charge of emergency preparedness, has been collecting pledges since late March after the City Council rejected the idea of a publicly-funded fireworks show. On Tuesday, Sauter said he had received pledges totaling $33,500, which will pay for staffing costs and the fireworks show itself. Details of the show will be worked out in the next month, but it appears the fireworks display will be held at Downey High School. The city budgeted $50,000 for last year's fireworks show, although community donations brought the city's contribution to about half that. Council members agreed to the public funding because it was held in conjunction with the grand opening of Discovery Sports Complex, the city's first park in more than 30 years. Last year's event was a day-long festival, whereas this year, the event will likely be limited to the fireworks show only, Sauter said. Residents and businesses can still pledge a donation by calling Sauter at (562) 904-6107. -- Eric Pierce, City Editor

********** Published: May 14, 2010 - Volume 9 - Issue 4