DOWNEY - Los Angeles County supervisors have offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for stealing bronze headstones from Downey Cemetery last week.Five headstones were stolen from the cemetery on March 30, possibly to be cashed in at local scrap metal yards. Police this week said they had no leads on the case, other than an initial suspect description. The first suspect is described as a male Caucasian or Hispanic, 6 feet 3 inches tall, weighing about 300 lbs. A second suspect is also described as a male Caucasian or Hispanic, 5 feet 8 inches tall, about 250 lbs. Both were last seen wearing white T-shirts and gray shorts. Supervisor Don Knabe requested the $10,000 donation Tuesday and the request was unanimously approved by the Board of Supervisors. "We're thankful to Supervisor Knabe and the Board of Supervisors for their efforts in helping us to solve this crime," said Mayor Luis Marquez. "We take great pride in caring for the Downey Cemetery and it is a beautiful, historic place to honor our departed friends and loved ones." Anyone with information on the case, or the identity of the suspects, is asked to call Det. Jerry Price at (562) 904-2359 or Det. Mark Galindo at (562) 904-2326. Tips can also be left anonymously by calling (800) 222-8477 or texting the letters TIPLA, plus your tip, to CRIMES (274637).
********** Published: April 7, 2011 - Volume 9 - Issue 51