Clarification on when to turn on headlights

Q: I've heard that California law requires me to turn on my headlights when it's raining, but my vehicle has daytime running lights. Is that sufficient?A: No. The California Vehicle Code requires that you use your headlights - not just your daytime running lights - in several situations. Your headlights must be turned on if it is cloudy, raining, snowing or foggy. If the weather requires that your windshield wipers be turned on, your headlights must also be turned on, as well as on frosty mornings when car windows are likely to be foggy, and on narrow country or mountain roads. This is a safety measure that should be taken any time you have trouble seeing other cars - that means they probably have trouble seeing you. Using your headlights helps to avoid head-on collisions. Q: I noticed an error on my driver's license - my date of birth is incorrect. How can I have this fixed? A: In this case, you'll have to apply for a correction of your driver's license in person at your local DMV office and pay the applicable fees. However, you can save time by scheduling an appointment online at Bring your acceptable birth certificate/legal presence documentation with you and be sure to double check and verify all personal information before submitting your forms to the DMV. Q: I applied for and received my driver's license several years ago at age 16. I am now 21 and have since grown several inches taller and a few pounds heavier. How can I have my driver's license updated? A: Height and weight changes can be common for many people. In this case, you must renew your driver's license in person and just be sure to fill in your new height and weight on the form. Q: I recently received a parking citation for parking in front of a fire hydrant but the curb was not painted. Doesn't the curb have to be painted red to indicate no parking? A: No. Unfortunately, your citation is valid. The California Driver Handbook clearly states that you are never to park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, even if the curb is not painted. Do you have questions about general driving-related requirements like registration and insurance? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save time by going online:

********** Published: May 5, 2011 - Volume 10 - Issue 3