DOWNEY – The Downey Fire Department recently hired six new ambulance operators, including two women, who become the department’s only female employees assigned in emergency services on platoon duty. The new hires (all are full-time) include:
- Anna Calmer, 25, a fire academy graduate. She has a B.A. in liberal arts and an A.S. in fire science, and volunteers for the La Habra Heights and Orange fire departments.
- Raquel Altman, 21, a fire academy graduate. She is currently studying fire science at a community college.
- Joshua Guerrero, 22, a fire academy graduate. He is a Downey resident, has an A.S. in fire science and is an EMT for Care Ambulance.
- Matthew Cristea, 19, a Downey resident and Downey Fire explorer. He is also a Downey CERT member and is attending college.
- Orlando Viera, 24, is a reserve with the Orange County Fire Authority. He has a B.S. in American Studies and is currently taking fire science courses. He is a fleet manager for an ambulance company.
- Dylan Myers is 22.
Ambulance operators are non-sworn EMTs who transport non- life-threatening patients to local hospitals. Patients with life-threatening injuries are transported by Downey Fire Department firefighters/paramedics.
Published: Feb. 19, 2015 - Volume 13 - Issue 45