DOWNEY -- Two men and a teenager accused of breaking into a Downey house and killing the homeowner were charged with murder today.
Paul Darvis Misikei, 19, Henry Willie Sao, 28, and Sakaopo Atanasio Folau, 17, have each been charged with three felony counts: murder, home invasion robbery and first-degree burglary, person present.
The charging document includes a special circumstance allegation that the defendants committed the murder during the course of a robbery and residential burglary.
Additionally, the felony complaint includes a special allegation that Misikei, Sao and Folau committed great bodily injury upon the victim during the commission of the crime.
The three defendants are scheduled to be arraigned today at Downey Superior Court. Prosecutors will ask that Misikei, Sao and Folau be held on no bail.
Deputy District Attorney Efrain Matthew Aceves is prosecuting the case.
On Jan. 17 the three suspects reportedly went to the Downey home of Jim Rudometkin, 59, prosecutors said.
While at the residence, Misikei and Folau allegedly forced their way into Rudometkin's home. Shortly thereafter, Sao also reportedly entered the home, prosecutors said.
As this was occurring, a neighbor saw the attack and called police, according to prosecutors.
When police arrived at the home, the defendants attempted to flee the scene, however, Misikei and Sao were soon located and arrested, prosecutors said. Folau was apprehended two days later.
When police entered the victim's home, they found Rudometkin bound and unresponsive. He was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene, prosecutors said.
If convicted, Misikei and Sao could face the death penalty if prosecutors decide later to seek it. Folau, because of his age, faces up to life in state prison if convicted as charged.
Evidence suggested that Rudometkin was specifically targeted in the attack, police said. Rudometkin, who was single and lived alone, may have previously hired one of the suspects to do work at the house, sources said.