Hunters must have deer tags to hunt

LOS ANGELES - Hunters interested in purchasing 2009 "A Zone" deer tags must have done so already in order to hunt on opening day tomorrow.Sales are typically brisk the day before the deer season begins, officials with the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) said. But the first, second and third Friday of each month are designated furlough days and all DFG offices will be closed. California residents must have both a resident hunting license and a valid deer zone tag in order to hunt deer in any zone. A resident hunting license currently costs $41.20; a resident first-deer tag application is $27.55 and a second-deer tag application is $34.40. Deer tags may be purchased at regional offices or through the mail. A list of regional officers is available online at The "A Zone" is the largest deer hunting zone in the state, with 65,000 tags allotted for the 2009 season. ********** Published: August 7, 2009 - Volume 8 - Issue 16