Latest Crime Report

As provided by the Downey Police Department. Saturday, Feb. 28

At 12:45 a.m. officers responded to the intersection of Lakewood Blvd. and Cecilia St. regarding a traffic collision that had just occurred. The sole vehicle involved was northbound on Lakewood Boulevard, and after passing Cecilia Street he lost control of his vehicle, veered to the east and up onto the sidewalk. While on the sidewalk he knocked over a street light and city tree. Public Works was called out to deal with the property damage. The driver showed no signs of impairment.

At 1:50 a.m. officers responded to the Downey Brewing Company (10924 Paramount Blvd.) in regards to a subject causing a disturbance and refusing to leave the location. Upon contact the suspect was uncooperative and refused to leave the location. The suspect was arrested for being drunk in public and transported to the station for booking.

At 6:20 a.m. officers responded to a report of a residential burglary in the 11800 block of Old River School Rd. The resident stated he had left for work a few hours earlier. The victim's children and elderly father were left sleeping in the home. Several hours later, the victim returned home and discovered his TV and other items were stolen while his family slept inside. The value of the loss totaled approximately $1,130.00. No suspects were seen. Detectives are investigating.

Sunday, March 1

At 9:40 p.m. officers responded to a report of a robbery at the Subway sandwich shop located at, 8011 Imperial Hwy. When officers arrived they spoke with an employee who reported that a suspect entered the store carrying a canister of pepper spray and threatened to spray her if she did not surrender the cash from the register. The employee hesitated and the suspect jumped over the counter and opened the register. He removed approximately $150.00 and sprayed the cashier with what she believed to be pepper spray as he ran out of the store. The cashier was not harmed by the spray and it appeared to be a decoy canister. Forensics units responded and detectives are conducting follow-up investigation.