Mother, daughter injured in house fire

DOWNEY - A Downey family narrowly avoided tragedy after a fire consumed their home on the 9100 block of Priscilla Avenue late Sunday afternoon.The unidentified resident told investigators she laid down to take a nap with her daughter and awoke to find her bed on fire, said Jason Patao, public information officer with the Downey Fire Department. The woman grabbed her daughter and ran out of the house. The fire tore through the house moments later, Patao said. Firefighters suspect a space heater placed too close to combustible materials ignited the blaze. No working smoke detectors were in the home. The woman and her daughter were hospitalized with smoke and burn injuries.

********** Published: March 29, 2012 - Volume 10 - Issue 50