DOWNEY - Last year's Fourth of July fireworks show may have been a one-and-done event unless community members agree to support the show with donations.Mark Sauter, the city's deputy city manager for emergency preparedness, is soliciting contributions after the City Council decided against using public monies to fund the fireworks show. The city partially funded the show last year as part of the Discovery Sports Complex grand opening celebration. But with the city instituting a hiring freeze to overcome a $4.8 million budget shortfall, shelling out $40,000 of public money for a fireworks show would be irresponsible, Councilman David Gafin said Tuesday. The Council gave Sauter 60 days to collect donations from local service groups and residents. "I would like to give our deputy city manager time to see what he can do," Councilman Roger Brossmer said. "It's worth a shot." Sauter said his goal is to raise $40,000. He was also looking into the possibility of hosting the show at Downey High School where logistics costs could be cheaper. By Wednesday morning, Sauter had already collected $1,000. To contribute towards the fireworks show, contact Sauter at (562) 904-6107 or email@example.com.
********** Published: March 26, 2010 - Volume 8 - Issue 49