- 2467 views
Illegal fireworks are suspected of setting a house on fire last night, displacing a Downey family.
The fire was reported at about 9 p.m. on the 9100 block of Hasty Street.
The blaze is thought to have started in the home's rear patio before spreading to the attic.
"Fire crews aggressively extended hose lines to the involved areas, as well as opened up the attic space to extinguish the fire," said Asst. Fire Chief Mark Gillaspie of the Downey Fire Department.
No one was home at the time of the fire, but the family has been displaced due to damage to the home.
Witnesses told investigators they saw illegal fireworks being discharged in the area.
Total damage to the home is estimated at $25,000.