Fire at liquor store blamed on electrical

DOWNEY - No injuries were reported at a Saturday morning fire at a liquor store adjacent to Pina's Pizza in Downey.Firefighters responded at 10:19 a.m. to a report of smoke inside the pizza parlor located at 11112 Paramount Blvd., fire officials said. The fire was actually coming from Stewart's Liquor, where an electrical sub-panel was sending flames into the walls and roof rafters.. The building was evacuated as firefighters cut back the roof to reduce the spread of fire to the attic space. The concealed fire was "difficult to locate and extinguish," fire officials said. Firefighters remained on-scene for three hours until the blaze was fully extinguished. Engine 62 conducted the fire investigation. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical in nature. No injuries were reported.

********** Published: May 24, 2012 - Volume 11 - Issue 06