DOWNEY -Downey will host a CROP Hunger Walk - a 4.5 mile walk to raise money for world hunger - this Sunday.The walk starts and ends at Downey Memorial Christian Church, beginning at 2 p.m. Walkers can also complete half the route and finish at Moravian Church of Downey. Eleven teams have already confirmed for the walk, including groups from local churches, schools and agencies. Church World Service will allocate 75 percent of funds raised from the CROP Walk to global hunger relief initiatives. The remaining 25 percent will be donated to Downey Food Help and PTA HELPS. The Warren High School band will perform before the walk starts and local businesses have donated bottled water and snacks for the rest stops along the route. Everyone is invited to participate in the walk but skateboards, rollerblades and bicycles are prohibited (for wagons for young children, and wheelchairs or motorized carts are OK). To sign-up for the walk, contact Rev. Christie Melby-Gibbons at email@example.com or call (562) 927-0718.
********** Published: October 11, 2012 - Volume 11 - Issue 26