Dear Downey Residents:
Gangs Out of Downey (GOOD) has a lot of exciting events scheduled for this year. As many of you know, GOOD is a non-profit organization comprised of volunteers throughout Downey who are committed to making a difference in our community.
Our organization meets monthly to share information and discuss strategies for outreach opportunities in the community. Our mission as an organization is to keep gangs out of Downey. We will accomplish this mission by education, prevention, intervention, and collaboration.
It’s critical we go out to the community and educate our youth on the dangers of joining a gang. It’s equally important to show our youth we care for them and that there’s a better path forward. If we can make a difference in one person’s life and dissuade them from joining a gang, we can have a generational impact on that individual as well as their family.
The following is a partial list of what GOOD has planned and will continue to support for the upcoming year:
• “Officer Ricardo “Ricky” Galvez Memorial Golf Tournament” powered by GOOD – October 7th, 2016, at Rio Hondo Golf Club in Downey. Proceeds from the golf tournament to fund college scholarships for graduating high school seniors in Officer Galvez’s memory.
• Community BBQ at Golden Park – August 20th, 2016. GOOD will provide children with free backpacks and school supplies (while supplies last). This event will be in collaboration with the City of Downey who is planning a movie night at the park.
• Continue to provide financial support for the Downey Police School Resource Officer Program at Downey, Warren, and Columbus High Schools.
• Provide Thanksgiving meals for at-risk youth and their families.
• Host a “Town Hall” meeting to discuss and educate the community on gang issues, graffiti, and AB109 and Prop 47 laws.
• Continue supporting the Brookshire Park program.
Gangs Out of Downey is the gold standard of community partnership, and we’re excited to get to work. As the newly-elected President of GOOD, I am deeply honored to work alongside so many dedicated volunteers who care tremendously about this community and want to make a difference in people’s lives.