Another 'thank God' situation
I was finally home from work pulling into the driveway and parking. As I got out of the car, my baby girl, four years old at the most, came running to greet me as I put out my arms to give her a hug.
As I did, the cigarette I had in my hand went straight into her right eye. Immediately, I saw charred mucous coming out of the corner of her eye and running down her cheek.
I had thoughts of having permanently damaged her eyesight or her pretty little face. My guilt was running rampant.
I phoned the doctor in the nick of time; he was in the process of closing up but would wait for me to get there. The time spent getting to the doctor’s office seemed endless as it was during the peak of traffic, Tracy was in pain and crying. I must have been crying too because of the horrible thoughts going through my mind.
We finally arrived at the doctor’s office. He examined her closely and said he did not think there was any permanent damage, but she needed to see a specialist as soon as possible. He put some salve in her eye and placed a compress over it. Tracy was no longer crying, and we left for home.
The next morning, we were at the ophthalmologist’s office. He confirmed that there was no permanent damage and instructed that the salve and compress continue to be used before bringing her back for a final checkup.
When that checkup supported the former results, all I could think of was that it was another thank God situation.
Sharon Benson Smith is a student in the memoirs writing class at Norwalk Senior Center, offered by Cerritos College.