Cigarette suspected of causing early morning fire

DOWNEY – Downey Fire Department responded to an early morning call of about a house fire on the 9600 block of Telegraph today. The call came just after 3 am.

The fire began in the front bedroom and extended into a few adjacent rooms, causing extensive smoke damage to the single-story, single family residence said Battalion Chief Dan Hurlock.

Two residents were in the house at the time the fire began. One of the residents, a 46-year-old woman, was transported to Downey PIH for medical attention, however she was not injured during the fire, and received medical attention for hypoglycemia.

The other resident, a male, sustained no injuries and was attempting to put out the fire with a garden hose when officials arrived.

CHP happened to be at the gas station across the street when they noticed smoke coming from the residence, and were the first on scene. Santa Fe Springs Engine 84 was the first Engine Company to arrive on scene, with Downey engines 63, 64, Downey paramedic squad 642, Downey truck 611, and Downey Battalion 604 responding shortly after. The fire was quickly extinguished.

The fire has been determined to be accidental by a currently unknown cause, however smoking is suspected to be involved. Official reports have not yet been released.

NewsAlex Dominguez