Cost to replace a driver's license?

Q: Where can I find information on acquiring an identification card? Is there a fee for a new card?A: For customers over the age of 62, the DMV offers an identification card valid for 10 years for no charge. The card looks likes a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only. The DMV will also exchange a valid license for a no-fee ID card to drivers who are no longer able to drive safely because of a physical or mental condition. Q: I bought a vehicle with a clean air sticker. Is the sticker still active even though I wasn't the original owner? A: Yes, all Clean Air stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name. To transfer the Clean Air Sticker to your name, complete the following steps: Complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (REG 1000) Check the "Replacement ID card only" box. If the clean air vehicle is a hybrid and you are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must include an original Bay Area FasTrak receipt as evidence of a FasTrak toll account. Q: I received a traffic ticket last week. Can I pay for it on the DMV Web site? A: To pay your citation, please visit, click on How do I Pay for a Traffic/Parking Ticket Online and click on the county where your citation was received. Those with tickets issued in certain counties may need to visit thire local court's website or contact the court directly. Q: How much insurance am I required to have? A: These are the minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles: •$15,000 for injury/death to one person. •$30,000 for injury/death to more than one person. •$5,000 for damage to property. Liability insurance compensates a person other than the policy holder for personal injury or property damage (comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements). Check your policy to make sure you have sufficient liability insurance coverage. Do you have questions about general driving-related requirements like registration and insurance? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. "Save Time by Going Online" at

********** Published: December 25, 2009 - Volume 8 - Issue 35

OpinionStaff Report