Murder suspect dies of his injuries


DOWNEY – The prime suspect in the killing of a Downey liquor store clerk has died following a wild and violent pursuit that ended in a hail of gunfire last week.

Dylan Andres Lindsey, a 24-year-old resident of Torrance, died Thursday morning. Officials said he died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound Thursday morning, one day after being charged with one count of murder and eight counts of assault with a firearm upon a peace officer.

Authorities allege Lindsey entered ASL Liquor and Market on May 7 at around 10:15 p.m. and fatally shot the store’s co-owner, Gurpreet Singh, in an attempted robbery.

Singh, 44, was a U.S. Navy reserve veteran. His funeral services were held Sunday in Hollywood, leaving behind a wife and two sons, ages 10 and 16.

Surveillance cameras inside the market captured images of the shooter, which police released to the media May 9. That prompted tips from the public that identified Lindsey as the suspect, Downey Police said.

Dylan Lindsey in a 2017 booking photo.

Dylan Lindsey in a 2017 booking photo.

The following day – May 10 – police found Lindsey and attempted to pull over the vehicle he was riding in, a grey Toyota Prius. A vehicle pursuit began in Bell Gardens and traveled onto the 710 Freeway and eventually onto surface streets in Commerce and Vernon.

News coverage of the chase showed Lindsey leaning out the passenger window and firing at pursuing officers, which included law enforcement officers from Downey PD, Bell Gardens PD, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The Prius eventually stopped at Downey Road and Bandini Boulevard in Vernon, where Lindsey again fired at police officers, who returned fire.

The driver of the Prius surrendered. She was later identified as Lindsey’s girlfriend, 37-year-old Alison Hart.

Lindsey was arrested after a lengthy standoff. He suffered two gunshot wounds, one of which is believed to have been self-inflicted.

Hart was charged with being an accessory after the fact and fleeing police while driving recklessly. Her arraignment was scheduled for Wednesday but was continued to June 4 at the Norwalk courthouse.

NewsStaff Report