Presidential policies

Dear Editor:After reading Mr. Ambruso's letter ("Presidential Haters," 10/30/09), I reread my letter to the editor of Oct. 16. I didn't find any place where I expressed hate for President Obama. I did express very clearly my disagreement with his policies. That is still allowed, isn't it? There is one statement I would like to correct where I stated "President Obama is transparent when he says illegals won't get health care." I have since learned they will get health care. It doesn't matter what is in the bill because the courts have ruled that health care cannot be refused to anyone. Regarding the government taking control of many areas of our lives, I learned today that the federal government now has control over 30 percent of private wealth. I also heard that some feel it is unconstitutional to force Americans to get health care against their will. I'm happy with my health care and don't want to be forced into any federally-controlled program as I don't have great respect for the performance of government. Why can't Congress work out some program for the uninsured, which Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard says is 16.4 percent, and leave the other 83.6 percent of us alone? It is notable that government workers have the right to opt out of the bill for better care. If it is good enough for us, I say it's certainly good enough for them! I'm opposed to the vast spending programs of President Obama. I don't know if people realize that to pay off the present debt, it would cost every person in the U.S. more than $330,000 and this doesn't include future debt. If this healthcare bill is passed, higher taxes will start immediately, but the program will start in 2013. Does anyone in their right mind think this money will be saved until 2013? It will be "borrowed" just as Social Security money has and IOUs will be put in just like Social Security. Then we keep hearing that we need to become energy independent, but this administration and the George Bush administration have done nothing to accomplish this - no drilling for our own oil, no new electrical grids and no nuclear energy, in spite of the fact that the U.S. is energy rich. Thanks to Al Gore and his phony global warming nonsense. I also do not believe that money earned should be taken and given to someone who hasn't earned it. Of course, we need to care for those who cannot care for themselves, but to some this has become a way of life - "redistribution of wealth." The cash for clunkers program only cost the taxpayers $24,000 per car, but when I drive by car lots, I see new cars for much less than that. Of course, Japan benefited, since most cars sold were made by the Japanese. I repeat, I do not hate President Obama, but I'm exceedingly opposed and fearful of not only his policies, but also fearful of a Congress that will, without even reading them, sign bills that have great impact on the future of the country I love. - Elsa Van Leuven, Downey

********** Published: November 13, 2009 - Volume 8 - Issue 30

OpinionStaff Report